18 January 2004

Netizens not nerds

This report tells us what has been apparent to most people for a while; that your typical net user is no longer the 'needs-to-get-a-life' nerd of stereotypical fame. No we're people who have a social life, read books and generally watch less TV [except if like me the TV is on in the background as I surf -I just love lots of info channels at once].

My informal observation of our kids led me to think that maybe internet usage [a lot of it IRC] was drastically reducing hours in front of the tele. There's an interesting set of implications to be teased out and researched about media usage in the wired home. Then the question has to be asked -what will this plus the technologies of cable, TiVo etc do to broadcasting? -Narrowcasting? Perhaps. What happens when our favourite soaps are delivered via broadband+ connections, when wireless connectivity is normal and when screens get flat, cheap and ubiquitous?

Then I ask myself: what does this mean for Christian community and worship? Especially, it seems to me, when you're in cell churches .... ?

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...