18 January 2004

Replacing the twin towers: a wind and a prayer

I must've missed the plans for what should replace the twin towers -I had rather hoped they would go for a memorial but what they seem to be looking at isn't bad. The article highlighted here shows a picture of the plans and outlines a radical couple of ideas: one that they have a wind turbine on the building to generate c.20% of the energy for the tower. The second is to put prayers for peace on the turbine blades in a way remniscent of Tibetan prayer wheels.

Hurrah for the turbines; though, can't they up the renewable contribution to energy needs? [photovoltaics ought to be able to contribute heavily].

I don't think that prayer actually works that way [people pray -I don't think we can automate it; it requires an engagement of who we are with as-much-as-we can-grasp of-Who-God-is; but perhaps if we really are shallow and unconcerned then perhaps automated praying is a good idea] but as an artistic call to prayer and a corporate expression of hope it is pretty good. I'm just wondering how they will handle all the issues around plurality of faith and secularity of public life in USA....

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...