08 February 2004

Managing the CofE

I'm just reading "The Living Company" by Arie de Geus [a former executive with Shell]. I'm doing so as part of growing my understanding of corporate human bahaviours and whether there is a meaningful way to talk about corporate personalities. Anyway I just read this: "It takes a long time to build a river company [as opposed to a 'puddle company' that's in it for short term aims of money and mere profit]. But if you have a river company, you can demolish it in less than twelve months. Simply follow these easy steps.
1. Declare that the company isn't profitable enough. Henceforth your goal will be a specific amount of return on capital employed.
2. Develop an action plan in which all assets will be trimmed back across the board to meet these goals.
3. Follow the plan."

I'm sad to say that this is how it has looked to and felt for me in the last year or so but it seems to me that it's been around in the CofE for a decade or so though perhaps only impacting on sensitive and anxiety-prone souls. Of course our problem is that CofE largely does not have people running it who are trained as managers, particularly managers where decline is to be managed. Those who are trained as managers have largely not been trained to deal with the kind of 'subcontracted independence' of clergy or with volunteers. This seems a recipe for mistakes and errors. How should we do differently? I can only see it in structural changes that free people up to do what is necessary rather than trying to maintain apple orchards in a climate changing to grape-growing or threatening to return to tundra.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...