31 March 2004

Credit where it's due

The other day I blogged about the speech by George Carey and the reaction by some Muslim organisations and in it I agreed with George Carey that moderate Muslims should be seen to be disowning radical islamism. Well, this article shows that perhaps it is happening. So two cheers for the MCB. The letter they have sent to Mosques all over Britain says "Islam categorically forbids violence and killing of innocents, let alone indulging in violence which can cause death and mayhem," -which sounds pretty unequivocal to me. and more we are told that booklets are being printed that will remind Muslims of their obligation to help safeguard Britain's security.

The full text of the letter from the MCB urges religious leaders to do various things. My two cheers are for doing this; I reserve my third cheer for when we in Bradford see the effects of the call "To develop active contacts with other faith communities and civic organisations in order to help maintain social peace and good community relations" -we've been trying to get mosques to do this for years but it really has been like pushing water up a hill.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...