11 March 2004

Rowan does us proud on 'His Dark Materials'.

Well I had to like what he said because it was pretty much the kind of conlusion I'd come to ie that this trilogy is about gods that are less than God [because they are clearly created and finite beings] and about institutions and power and the abuses thereof. I can't quite understand why it is that some Christians have got their knickers in a twist [apparently ACT -I'm surprised] seeing it as blasphemous. Clearly the god portrayed in Pullman's novels is not God -more a kind of demi God [a la Terry Pratchett] and I was still left wondering who created it all -Mormonism seems to suffer from the same demi-Ggd approach to deity and so they would have grounds for disquiet -but not Christians.

But anyway I kind of reckon this is what I want an archbishop to be doing -engaging thoughtfully with popular culture and putting an alternative model of Christian relating to culture in the public domain; one of constructive engagement. Good on you Rowan!

There's some interesting food for thought in his discussion of Dust. I'm not sure I agree with what I understand of what is said -but for me? -I'm still chewing that over.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...