18 April 2004

Jeffrey John at St Albans?

I find myself thinking that this seems a good thing: I couldn't really understand the response of conservative evangelicals over the Bishop of Reading proposed-appointment: the guy is celibate so what's the problem? If it's to do with the fact that he proposes gay unions should be allowable I can't see why the fuss there -lot's of bishops think that [the current bishop of Manchester for example] and no-one seems to bat an eyelid... Unless the difficulty is that they do not really believe he is celibate. It may be that he hasn't publically repented of the previous relationship -but since the point at issue is whether the church's teaching and understanding in such matters should change then I feel it is a bit mouch to expect. Basically he is being asked to deny the possibility of making a case; to shut up. I can't see that is fair given that he is willing, pro tem, to adhere to the church's current teaching in practice.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...