17 May 2004

ALT-WORSHIP: Christian Cool and the New Generation Gap

What I found interesting in this was what the label "Alternative" seemed to connote. There was a more welcoming attitude to social non-conformity [good], multi-media in worship [probably good], but sermons maybe 45mins long? [hang on -obviously a more cosmetic exercise in worship] see this quote from the article:
"Mr. Lucas, the pastor at Liquid, speculated that hip, high-tech churches like his own might soon generate their own backlash. Already, he said, college students who wander in find the 45-minute sermon insufficiently interactive. "The church my daughter grows up in will be a critique of what we do at Liquid," he said. "She'll say, 'Why all this multimedia? What happened to sanctuary? I come to church because I want to be still in the presence of God.' I can see that coming very quickly."

I can see it coming too: the services I've been nurturing as chaplain have involved a degree of high tech and musical styles that are post-Kendrick, but we've really been quite big on interactive learning and worship and quite meditative content. I do hope that Mr Lucas's daughter manages to encourage them down that road -in fact why not do it anyway now that you've identified it?

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...