19 May 2004

application interviews and jobseeking

Today [or yesterday] would have been an interview day for me had my application not received an unaccountable knock-back - which I still suspect of not being okay by equal opps. Basically: elimminating an applicant because they did not say things about their [relevant] experience that was not in any case asked for on the form, which in turn had no space for the kinds of comments that would have been required. ... Come on; if they'd said 'what are your views and analyses on current UK HE challenges and what strategies and responses have you adopted to meet them' I could have given them a fairly good essay. Instead I simply answered what I was asked "What is your current job and what does it involve?" and "Why have you applied for this post?". As it happens, in answering those questions, I showed quite a few strategies that had been adopted and gave indications that I understood the bigger issues; I assumed that the kind of questions that the feedback indicated I should have given in the application were for the interview. Perhaps I'm missing something here but it didn't seem right. Be interesting to see who is appointed; I'm almost willing to bet that it'll be an internal diocesan appointment of someone without appreciable experience of ministering in HE...

I blogged about this a few days back and said I'd share a few thoughts on good practice from the POV of a recent seeker/applicant.

First off; good application forms. They should reflect what the panel will need to know in order to shortlist [unlike above] without making arbitrary decisions or unevidenced assumptions [ditto] -so simply recycling the CofE's standard application form tout simple does not cut it if you aren't prepared to take the answers it produces.

and they should attend to how to give due weight both to experience and, if relevant, to inexperience: in what way can they be made commensurable? It may be that commensurability is something that the interviews would need to fine-tune.

On the other hand they should not be application forms that will take two weeks of careful research and writing to produce [you know what I mean] -unless they can gain you credit towards your current lifelong learning qualification!

The interview. Good marks for clear directions to the interview room, Full marks for indicating how much a taxi fare is likely to be from stations etc. Bonus points for meeting candidates with limo.

There is clearly a fashion for presentations. I've nothing against them; if I put my mind to it I can do a good presentation [so my feedback tells me]. But really is it always necessary. Last interview I had we were asked to do a five minute presentation to start with, and I really couldn't see the point; the job wasn't asking for presentation skills. MAybe I didn't get it because I didn't really try too hard -that and asking for an extra £3k! I wasn't sure I wanted that job anyway. So, what's the purpose of having a presentation? If none, don't do it. If so try to be clear in briefing the candidate and also in providing adequate equipment [and water]. It may be that some other 'exercise' would be better.

What are you hoping to do 'to' the candidates? Most panels seem set up to interrogate [and making silly jokes about the room layout isn't good enough -set it up differently; who says confronting the person from behind barriers and putting them in an interrogation chair is a good idea?] Best I've experienced was in a large drawing room with easy chairs and coffee tables and a good atmosphere to have a conversation.

QUESTION. Do you want a candidate who is nervous or who is relaxing? Why? Now look at your room set-up and your manner; are they serving your aims? Every panel should have one person who is good at putting people at their ease [fellow interviwers tell me that I do that]...

Another question; is the aim to catch people out and so eliminate them or to give them the opportunity to give you lots of information so you can make a good decision based on lots of info? It think it should be the latter for the most part and that means doing interviews in such a way as to achieve that. Do unto others ...

Also, lot's of people in interview conditions get 'brainlock' they may have several points they could make in response, but only the first one comes through. Get a panellist who's good at jogging people out of brainlock without prejudice.

Phew, a lot there. best leave it before I think of anything else.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...