31 May 2004

TallSkinnyKiwi: Christians without Churches


This is a very interesting article about Christians outside of church. Once upon a time I didn't beleive it was possible. But then I remembered my own coming to faith -it took me over a year to get connected with a church because I was put off by what I had until then experienced. Then I also began meeting people whose faith I could not doubt but who were driven crazy by churches. Now I realise that, if I wasn't in church leadership, I could very easily be one of them ... I long to make and do church for people who don't like church ...

2 comments:

Chris Monroe said...

"I long to make and do church for people who don't like church"It was over two years ago that I encountered the following statistic: in any given city in the US, at least 55% of people claiming to be born-again Christians do not attend ANY church. Lots of people don't like church -- and they're not just the "unchurched." They're people just like you and me.

May God mightily bless your heart and your efforts.

Andii said...

Thanks for that Chris. I look back and see signs that since my mid-twenties, I have been finding God detaching me from churchiness. My natural disposition is to conform and find things that I relate to well in things I become part of. But I feel that God has been stirring up a [holy, I hope] discontent which has grown stronger [midlife helps] of late. And my own tussles recently with diocesan structures has brought to the fore my sense that perhaps the future lies -for me, for now- beyond the fringe ... scary!

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...