Well it needs to happen: I'm pretty concerned that the kinds of 'Macho-drinking' attitudes that were around when I was in my teens are still there, in spades, and with alcopops and relatively low prices for alcohol we are facing a huge alcohol problem in our society most of it to do with binge-drinking and most of it cultural [compare southern Europe]. I never thought I'd get to this point but I'm seriously considering some kind of temperance drive. Well, this article tells me I'm not alone.
It's so different in, say, Spain, where drinking to get ratted is not the aim; drinking is to be social and to relax together -often with food in the middle of the evening, and where going and ordering a soft drink or a coffee is just as okay as ordering an alcoholic drink. -I know I've done it on many an occasion when I lived there.
It's a culture change we're after not abstinence. I fear for our national health bills when these people reach middle age and liver problems start kicking in, not to mention the alcoholisms .... Or am I getting too old?
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment