17 June 2004

Joan of Arcadia - TV Series -


Well I've now managed to see two full episodes and I'm impressed. I love the family characterisations and the wrestling with issues of right and wrong. I like the way that God talks to Joan in the personae of various people usually doing fairly humble things and in the personae of all races, both genders, differnent ages etc etc. I like the way that God is somehow elusive but that in the end there seems to be some kind of sense comes out of the inscrutablility but that the doing the right thing isn't necessarily straight forward because of lack of imagination or deflection by unforeseen consequence and miscuing responses.

It seems to me that it deserves its awards, on the showings so far. It's not saccharinny like 'Touched by and Angel', there's a robustness about its 'theologizing' which has room for exploration, indeed invites questioning, and seems to give room for others to make their own responses and is open to hearing good insights from a variety of sources; all truth is God's truth ... check it out my friends. Though I'm afraid UK folk will need cable or somesuch at the moment as it's on Living TV. -Which probably measn that I have only about two weeks viwing left since we move to Durham at the beginning of July.

On that latter point I will be blogging more, no doubt as I become a freelance priest/missioner/researcher living off my wife's grant ... I'll bore you with detials another time!

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...