30 June 2004

Teenagers react against 'anything goes' society

This is not new [dated MArch this year] but somehow I missed it. Teenegers are a lot more conservative than we might have thought. Question is whether this is something that will stick with them? Given that figures seem to indicate that higher education tends to have a liberalizing effect [and if we get 50% into HE ... ] will this conservatism turn out to be a mere teenagerly phantasm [like my own flirtation with conservative politics]?

There is, of course the possibility that it is the bad effects of certain social trends coming home to roost. Eg. marriage is a Good Thing because it hurts a lot when you're parents don't stay together -a perspective all too easily overturned when experience borne of not having role models of how to make relationships last makes a seperation look like a good idea doubly so when you live in a society vitally formed by the ephemeral and holding options and choices open [See Liquid Modernitycover].

I seem to recall trend-based predictions in the 80's and 90's of returns to more traditional sexual morality [following AIDS etc], but I see little evidence of that. So will all this conservative idealism be kicked out of them or will some of it stick? Hey And I'm pretty unconservative except that I'm more pro-life than many and think that there is a huge value in working at covenanted relationships. I also happen to think pro-life extends to people once they are born and means taking the bonds of human love seriously ...

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...