23 July 2004

LIFE CACHING | An emerging consumer trend?


It had been occuring to me recently that with gmails huge storage space and things like the way I'm keeping photos online now and all sorts of stuff so that I can access it half-way across the world if necessary without having to carry one of those little memory stick things -though I do keep a lot of files on one for work purposes and then 'hot desk' -I'm now consiedering simply keeping a list of URL's on it to access the things I'm working on and I'm even thinking of how to write my dissertaions and articles using Gmail/blogs or similar. So more and more of my life is in cyberspace since it is fairly reliably there and means less stuff to remember to carry.

Then there's this article ... and I start to worry that perhaps I'm too visible to commercial interests this way. It's convenient but ... There are a nmber of issues too about how visible we want to be: blogging seems to be interpretable as a variety of vanity publishing but is that too harsh a judgement?

I recently had an interview where one of the panel had prepared by actually looking at my blog [which I'd referenced as part of my address details in my covering letter]. Is blogging simpy an extension of self-presentation into cyberspce, nopt with any expectation of becoming famous or being 'discovered' but simply allowing ourselves to be known and to relate through this new social environment? I think for me that it is this latter and also it picks up where email discussion groups left off.

But the drying up of email discussion groups [well so it seems to me] points to the potential ephemerality of bloging and so on ... so is life-caching too grandiose a title for what could actually be a 10 year pehenomenon, or is it here to stay though likely to morph?

I'd like to note two other things before leaving off. One is the word 'emerging' it's obviously a vocabule du jour. SO how long is it going to be before we're tired of the word [cf 'empowering'] and looking for a new term to replace emerging church? And what would be the significance of that?

The other thing is that the term 'life caching' seems to be deliberately echoing 'life coaching' [or am I being too clever by half here?]. If that's so then it would indicate that the 'profession' of life-coaching has gained some degree of being an 'accepted part of the landscape' in at least entrepreneurial circles in the USA ...

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...