30 July 2004

Malaysian censors say Passion is only for Christians


"'It's a deeply religious movie. We live in a multiracial country and we needed to show sensitivity toward other religions, particularly Islam.'"
I think I'm right in saying that Malays have their religion on their ID cards so this is enforcible at point of entry ... but it seems a bit much to say that Muslims couldn't go to see it as if they aren't grown up enough to make up their own minds. Actually it could create a bit of a biteback effect: by contrabanding it to Muslims, it could create a bootleg market among them.

I guess the issue could be about not exposing Muslims to the Christian 'heresy' that Christ was crucified -though whether the traditional Muslim interpretation of the Quran is correct on this point is another issue: it seems to me that the passages cited are capable of an interpretation that sits well with the well-grounded history that the crucifixion of Jesus did in fact take place.

2 comments:

hadge said...

Aside from the rights and wrongs of this kind of censorship I would have to say that I wouldn't be too disappointed that Muslims may not get to see this film. I don't believe the movie to be a broad enough representation of the life of Christ - to say nothing of the breadth of the Christian message - the emphasis on the brutality of the crucifixion (regardless of any 'well-grounded history' of its authenticity) serves only to distort the whole story (in my humble opinion) so any 'message' would be too wrapped up in Gibson's garbled RC/fundamentalist viewpoint. Which begs the question - what do we hope to achieve by using this film 'evangelistically' either implicitly or explicitly?

Andii said...

I actually tend to agree with you Hadge: though I wasn't rewally thinking of its evangelistic use -the expereince of showing in Thailand [blogged a month or two back] says that Gibson's rendition of the stations of the cross may not communicate well outside of Christian cultures. As I indicate the issue for me is of censorship with religious overtones and the difficulty official Muslim 'gatekeepers' have with allowing other views to be acknowledged..

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...