02 August 2004

A fair trade coffee on the high street

I keep meaning to blog this and I've finally managed to remember while I'm in front of a screen! I went into a Costs Coffee house the other week and staning in the queue noticved the fair-trade logo on their product/price board and then noticed that it referred to all their coffee beans and tea. Wow! So if you want to fiar trade coffee while you're out and about, head for Costa coffee signs.

Now I notice that their website says that they offer a fair trade option on all their coffees, though the shops appear to say that all their coffees are ft; I shall attempt to investigate. However, to be on the safeside, ask for a fair trade americano or whatever ....

Anyway, Costa are able to boast:
"Costa sales have helped fund major community projects such as road improvements in Uganda to allow easier and quicker tea deliveries to the factory (previously farmers had to walk up to 5 hours), and the funding of a woman's association in Mexico providing courses on midwifery, the production of vitamins from local plants and child rearing."

So despite the fact that they are a bit mre expensive [and still at the pint of beer kind of level] I will be giving them more support as a customer.

1 comment:

Andii said...

Aye, Adrian, 'appen tha's reet on Guiness and beer.
On coffee, It looks to me like Costa are FT now BUT I need to ask personally, however the sign in the shop in Durham says all their coffee beans are fair trade. That's "all" ... hard to believe but I hope it turns out true and that there's no small print.

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...