19 August 2004

Row over 'no-fail' A-levels

EducationGuardian.co.uk | Schools special reports | Row over 'no-fail' A-levels: "There was a corresponding increase in the number taking 'softer' subjects such as psychology and media studies - critics say students are 'working the system' for the highest possible grades to secure university places."

The hypocrisy of this makes me mad: like no-one else 'works the system' [whichever it is] to maximise the effect of their effort and chances? In any case shouldn't we be pleased at the greater opportunities there are for people to study what intersts them and that they can excell at. I didn't realise how much I hated this elitist thing that wants assessment in education to suit only the kind of people that made a success of negotiating it in the past [perhaps failing the 11-plus is an emotional driver here? -and the recognition that the one boy from our school that passed it hasn't achieved academically anything like what I and a handful of others did]. Sheesh! My dander it well and truly up.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...