25 October 2004

bilogical computing

Wired News: Is That a Pilot in Your Pocket? It is me or is there something creepy and Frankensteinish about this? I'm not hormally luddite but I am pausing over this. Don't get me wrong: I don't think that this is any threat to notions of ensoulment but just that fact that . I think that this is related to the report here about microchips with a biological interface. I can't quite locate the source of my disquiet. I don't have objections to biological computing. I suspect that it's the idea of growing neurons in a petrie dish and linking them up to a machine. I suspect that it is the idea that we could be 'growing' a sentient being as a kind of slave, a kind of ghost in the the machine. Needs more reflection.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...