13 November 2004

City living's eco-merits

The Urban Archipelago, It's the Cities, Stupid., by The Editors of The Stranger (11/11/04): "as counterintuitive as it may seem to composting, recycling self-righteous suburbanites, living in dense urban areas is actually better for the environment. The population of New York City is larger than that of 39 states. But because dense apartment housing is more energy efficient, New York City uses less energy than any state. Conversely, suburban living--with its cars, highways, and single-family houses flanked by pesticide-soaked lawns--saps energy and devastates the ecosystem."



Interesting thoughts eh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I kid you not ... I once produced a video for a fellow who came up with this idea called Victory City -- a city all in one building and the mother of an ex of mine viewed this video and was violently upset by it.

Not only was she upset with the notion of being forced to live in a high-rise setting, she was upset by the author's views on financial management.

I asked her if she thought she actually had a God-given right to go Chapter 7 and she said, "ABSOLUTELY!"

Maybe one day, when we have exhausted just about everything, people will see the advantages of city living.

In fact if I thought there was a glimmer of hope I could get work in the Corridor I would be there in a minute.

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...