28 November 2004

Great composers scored on language

For me, as a linguist, this is fascinating, I'll certainly be keeping my eyes open for more on this kind of topic. It's like there are a few main roots to our knowing and creating and they provide templates and metaphors for most of what we do ...
"comparing the rhythm and melody of English classical music from composers such as Elgar, Holst and Vaughan Williams, with that of French composers including Debussy, Faur� and Roussel. 'The music differs in just the same way as the languages,' said Dr Patel. 'It is as if the music carries an imprint of the composer's language.'"
Guardian Unlimited | The Guardian | Great composers scored on language:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...