10 November 2004

Post Romantic?

maggi dawnMAggi, to avoid more hate-comments is having a comment holiday on her blog; so I'm reflecting here on this post.

In it she says: "we compared the Romantic setting to the postmodern,"
Been thinking about that a bit since we spoke briefly at GreenBelt. I realised I knew a bit more than I knew in that I have studied bits in foreign languages [French mainly]. I was putting this together with the observation that a lot of contemporary cultural artefacts [ie film, TV etc] seem to exalt in something rather like bits in Falubert's Madame Bovary where Flaubert is both using a romantic style and then -as if he can't quite take it seriously- puts in some 'back down to earth' details. Very resonant with what I keep noticing in contemporary culture of late. So While I think that it is true that there is a good deal of Romantic reprise in pomo, I wonder whether we are seeing something else happening; the reprise to the post-Romantic reaction?

Deserves some further thought, not least to gather some instantiations of this 'post-Romantic' come-down.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...