10 November 2004

Wired News: Patron Saint of the Nerds

Wired News: Patron Saint of the Nerds: I'm not into asking felow Christians who happen to have shuffled off this mortal coil for their prayers [I don't see any reason why they should be listening to me -especially if someone else were talking to them at the same time and in any case if they're outside of time the issues of co-ordinating their reality and my present place and time seem to go off the map of unknowing].. Anyway, I may not be into 'praying to saints' but I am interested in popular religious culture, so I was surprised that I'd never heard of this.
"A different version of the same story is told in New Orleans. Supposedly, the church of Our Lady of Guadeloupe received a big shipment of assorted saint statues. Only one didn't have a proper label on the case identifying the saint whose statue was contained within. But the crate did have an 'Expedite' label on it, so the locals decided that must be the saint's name.

A century and a half later, according to the story, they found out there was no saint called Expedite. However, a little research turned up the obscure St. Expeditus, whose status as a possible Armenian martyr gave the Expedite myth legitimacy."

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...