14 January 2005

Walk the walk: 10,000 steps

AS you may know, since moving to Durham I have been in the habit of walking into the city from where we live, a distance of 2 miles or more [it takes me 35 monutes walking briskly =so probably about 2.5 miles]. Recently I got a pedometer because I was curious and it was cheap [my! how they've come down in price in the last couple of months!]. Anyway I clearly need to do some work on getting the right position for accuracy because according to this:
"30 minutes moderately paced walking = approximately 4,000 steps
45 minutes moderately paced walking = approximately 7,500 steps
60 minutes briskly paced walking = approximately 10,000 steps"
my walk into Durham yesterday should have clocked up somewhere between 4k and 7k steps. Instead I got a reading of something like 3.6k going in and about 3k coming back [and I walked back by the same route!]. Something is clearly awry. Perhaps athe clue is at the end of the article here "The most common placement is directly above and in line with your knee. However, you may have to experiment to find the best placement for your body type. If your tummy protrudes over your waistband or belt, it may cause the pedometer to tilt and not work properly. If this is the case try wearing the pedometer more to the side of your body." -that could be it; having a bit of a tum [that's why I'm doing this, in part], which does tend to push my waistband down .... I'll try moving it round a bit when I go into Durham today.
Walk the walk: 10,000 steps

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...