24 January 2005

Xanadu


A while back I took a course on information technology as part of culturl studies. In it I learnt about Xanadu and Ted Nelson's vision which kind of was realised with hypertext and the internet. Except that it wasn't. Ted Nelson's vision was more than what we now have enabled by hypertext. His links were to be direct and embedded not taking one off to other pages. I kind of dynamic two-way embedded quoting. Project Xanadu proposes to fulfill the vision and has come up with technologies and legalities to help do so and really open up the power of the net. Of course it'll never happen: like the QWERTY keyboard, it may be that sopmething better is possible but we're locked in now. Or are we?
PROJECT XANADU
See also Ted Nelson pages.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...