18 February 2005

Islamophobia Myth

Judgling by the name of the writer I suspect that it is not easy to write this off as a racially motivated piece. It is an article that should be read by anyone concerned with issues of Islam in Great Britain and how it does or doesn't relate to other faiths and philosophies of life and how it does and doesn't reltae to reasonable and/or unreasonable criticism. I think that there are some strong points made which really deserve thinking about. I am concerned that there a number of Muslims who seem to be trying to find ways to isolate Islamic faith fromthe kind of critique and questions that I as a Christian consider to be normal and reasonable if and when [more to the point] they are directed at me and my faith. I wish these Muslims would realise that they really do look like they have something to hide and be afraid of when they act in this way. I can understand from my own perspective how hurtful and frustrating it can feel to have people misunderstand your beliefs and to misrepresent them [often unwittingly] and to disrespect [wittingly or otherwise] things you hold sacred; but that really is part of living in a society where there is diversity and disagreement. It needs a response of patient explanation and gracious education not finger-wagging outrage -and I do and have -even on this blog- said pretty much the same thing to and of the Christian community and even the Sikhs; so no discrimination there, okay? I may have a Christian-centric view but I still maintain that you cannot work on the basis that everyone should think like you when clearly they do not, 'there is no compulsion in religion' I believe is a Qur'anic sentiment; let's hope that the spirit of that saying infuses Islam more widely than at present. Stifling dissent and uncomfortable views is not a option in a society that is trying not to be repressive. The defensiveness of some Msulims with regard to the content of their faith really looks like insecurity and invites no confidence at all that they believe that their faith can withstand close scrutiny.
FrontPage magazine.com:: Islamophobia Myth by Kenan Malik

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...