17 March 2005

Still jobseeking

Due to Blogger being unutterably slow over the last couple of days [what happened guys?] I hadn't posted before that I did not get offered the post at Sunderland University I was their second choice [see below]. Of the other candidates it was offered to the man most likely, I felt. However, I suspect that on paper I was the best qualified candidate and I'm hoping for some feedback on how I came over in the interviews. I suspect that my interview technique is not allowing to be seen that I could do a job like that really well and bring bags of creativity and insight to it. So if anyone knows some good sources of reflections and coaching on being interviewed, let me know.

I've asked for feedback with thte following questions:-
-Were there any aspects of my interview 'performance' that need strengthening?
-Were there any aspects of my written application that would be better expressed or should be less emphasised or differently presented?
-Is the issue of my having a career break something that I would be best to have some kind of pre-emptive documentation for next time [eg. a note from Bradford Diocesan HR outlining the circumstances of my redundancy]?
-Are you able to say any way[s] in which I might have been able to demonstrate myself a more appointable candidate than than the one who was offered the post?
-I noticed that some of the interviews, at least, seem to be criteria-based. I wonder if it would be possible to [a] have a list of the questions that were asked at both panels and [b] any notes on how I answered, especially in regard to what the criteria for assessing the answers were and how I 'scored' in that assessment.
-And Finally, my HR contacts tell me that quite often telling someone
that they are or were the second preferred candidate is a standard
practice for those who are not offered a post. I hope you won't take it
ill if I ask you to comment on that.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...