19 April 2005

12 step campaigning

This is really good and deserves wider publicity. I really liked the argument about the place of education [step 2] versus mobilisation: "Information is not power until it leads to effective mobilisation. If it were, the world would be run by librarians."

Edication comes by doing: something I do recall trying to say to a colleague about environmental activism; that the important thing was to get people doing even small things because then they have a stake in it and natural curiosity and communication will do the rest.

Point 8 is on how to pick up the best focal point and why: "Look at your issue. It will be full of shades of grey, like an aerial photograph of a city. Zoom in on your chosen areas. Blow it up until there is just black and white - that is what to communicate. Go to that point to make your case."

One of the most useful little articles I've read for a while.

News:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately the article is subscription only, so not much use to those of us who don't subscribe.

Anonymous said...

I don't subscribe either and revisited to discover that I can't now see the article: I presume this means tht it may have lapsed from visibility. Sorry: I shall bear that in mind in future when sourcing the Independent. Either I will refrain or I will repor more of the article -mindful of copyright - or even try to find it elsewhere.
Like ... http://www.commondreams.org/views05/0418-30.htm
Hoorah!

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...