26 April 2005

Episcopaganism?

Is that really a word? Apparently so since the 1970's. Recently it's been popping up in bloggerdom in relation to a controversy I blogged about a few days back, the strange incident of a couple of Episcopal priests and their relationship to a Druid Grove. I've managed to find out a bit more about what was going on, and if you're intrigued that tipp the hat to Jason Pitzl-Waters and his impressively comprehensive referencing of the issue, start at the referenced page.

Apparently I come over as a progressive Christian, now all I have to do is work out what that means! I must admit I do feel out of place in the company of all the fairly liberal Christians that this seems to put me in; perhaps God's trying to tell me something. Still, the company is not th pint. The issue is about doing justice and relating to neo-Paganism on a par with other religions. I an see no justification for dealing with it in a totally different way to Islam or Buddhism.

In fact, given that it is a somewhat synthetic thing that has grown up in the soil of early post-modernity, ther is far more, I would argue, that we can learn from it as Christians than from other religions in respect of how we might ourselves better engage the spiritual-cultural nexus of contemporary society.

Perhaps more of that another time.
The Wildhunt Blog

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...