25 June 2005

The sham of "Free Market"

Just as it is becoming apparent that US and EU promotion of markets in developing nations is hypocritical [a case of 'do what I say, not what I do'], it is becoming clearer just how widespread avoidance of the market really is: "Oil executives, Dick Cheney among them, love to rail nowadays against government regulation and/or funding for alternative energy sources, arguing that if an industry can't earn its way in the marketplace, it doesn't deserve to live. Sadly, that was never true for the oil industry: government, not markets, created oil's success."
I saf this not because I'm a free-marketeer but because I am very dischuffed with the sauce-for-the-goose-not-for-the-gander tactics of the right; the pretence about how good markets are while all the time trying to avoid their 'discipline'.
MoJo Blog: The Corruptible "Free Market":

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...