13 July 2005

Blogging and job prospects

There've been a few times when I've wondered if my blogging may have had an impact (negatively) on some of the interviews I have passed through in the last year. I have tended to mention in 'interests' that blogging is one. However I'm reviewing that in the light of this article. "I know of at least one fellow grad student who failed the final round of a job search thanks to comments of his a on hot-button social issue that were published in the house organ of his denomination. Apparently, he came down on the opposite side of that issue from some influential faculty on the job search committee, and his candidacy was sunk."
One member of an interview panel did say he'd looked at my blog. At the time I felt that to be a positive, now I'm not so sure. Admittedly this is a piece on academe, but still ... maybe the closing words go for me too, for good or ill, weal or woe.
"So what about my own academic job prospects? Heh, it's too late for me now, so I might as well keep going..."
However, I am also reflecting that it may be time for the reading of a blog to be acknowledged as a declaration of interest and the ethics of a blog's admission as evidence concerning a candidate be discussed. It would need to take in issues of equal opp's (esp. if some candidates have and others don't), the place of such 'unsolicited background info, the value of perhaps skewed or deliberately promotional material, the notion of a 'fair trial'.
Blogging and job prospects: from the academy to the SCOTUS:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...