25 July 2005

Chess960

I used to play chess a lot, I was even good when I was concentrating. I'w also a neophile so this got my attention: a new version of chess. "The rules of Chess960 are mostly the same as orthodox chess -- but the setup incorporates something once considered anathema to the game: chance. Pawns begin where they always do. However, the pieces behind them on the white side are arranged at random, with the proviso that bishops must end up on opposite colors, and the king dwell somewhere between the two rooks. The black pieces are lined up to mirror the white."
Wired News: Unorthodox Chess From an Odd Mind:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...