29 July 2005

Spirituality for All the Wrong Reasons [2]

Lots of brilliant quotes, like,

"If intimacy means being open and honest and authentic, so I don't have veils, or I don't have to be defensive or in denial of who I am, that's wonderful. But in our culture, intimacy usually has sexual connotations, with some kind of completion. So I want intimacy because I want more out of life. Very seldom does it have the sense of sacrifice or giving or being vulnerable. Those are two different ways of being intimate. And in our American vocabulary intimacy usually has to do with getting something from the other. That just screws the whole thing up."Spirituality for All the Wrong Reasons - Christianity Today Magazine:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to see the body of Christ return to the kind of Spiritual Mysticism exemplified by the early church fathers. It wasn't seeking for seeking's sake, like we see today in so many postmodern extremists.

The key to their spirituality was God Himself. Nothing but God! Like the old hymn, "Turn Your eyes Upon Jesus" says:

And the things of earth
will grow strangely dim
in the light of His
glory and grace


If anyone can show me a better reason for Spirituality than that, I'll eat my own shoe! (not really...)

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...