28 July 2005

War of the Worlds

I went to see War of the World last night. I enjoyed the suspense and the 'meditation' on civilisation. There were a few things that I found less good though...
The intro voiceover was a bit last century; "man's mastery of nature" or somesuch? It really did sound kind of overblown from this side of the post-modern watershed. Though to be fair the story is a sort of call to humility, it just seemed that if the words were meant to include the audience, then I and other cultural post-moderns were being missed.

I thought that doing the street scenes in the initial part of the invasion as if editted together from lots of camera-phone recordings would have been a great idea. That's an idea begging for exploration after the London bombings.

The ending voiceover was not great: too moralistic and cosy ... It's crying out for the Martians Strike back: their viri infect the humans and some of them develop an immunity to ours. Perhaps someone should write a sequel along those lines? Me? Maybe ... or not.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...