13 July 2005

The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race

I've been meaning to share this for a week or more. It's a retrospective of human civilisation /history. It's quite provocative as it concludes;
"Hunter-gatherers practiced the most successful and logest-lasting life style in human history. In contrast, we’re still struggling with the mess into which agriculture has tumbled us, and it’s unclear whether we can solve it."
Wonder what you think, if there are any good sites that take a different view of this kind of evidence, I'd love to know. Meanwhile, I'm adding this in my head to my recent reading of "The Mind in the Cave" and remembering an interesting series of conversations with a member of academic staff at Bradford university. He was supervising a doctoral thesis proposing that the reason behind the shift from hunter-gatherer lifestyles to agriculture was religious ...
The Worst Mistake in the History of the Human Race: "Forced to choose between limiting population or trying to increase food production, we chose the latter and ended up with starvation, warfare, and tyranny.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...