16 August 2005

church ministry and coaching

Just recently I wrote an article which I hope will be published in Anvil next year. It was on what life coaching might add to ministry. And now I come across a quote from Rowan Williams which, in effect, endorses what I'm proposing. "The Church isn't here, I think, to solve problems, to wave wands. What we can do is, I think, always to say to people, there are choices you can make which can be transforming and, even if they don't change everything, they will change something. Now the really exciting, really challenging thing is finding what the choices are you can make that will make that kind of difference. You're constrained, you're hemmed in, you're sat on, but you're not trapped. Whatever happens to you, your value is in somebody else's hands, God's hands. Not your achievement, not other people's approval, but something utterly, utterly non-negotiable."
It also helps frame the coaching task within a theological approach.
hopeful amphibian: who we are:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...