"The government has admitted that it has been guilty of 'overselling' the case for a compulsory national identity card scheme in Britain and conceded that it will not prove a panacea for fraud, terrorism or the abuse of public services. "
So is there any reason still for the government to pursue putting them on the statute books?
Well the issue now moves to whether it should be compulsory and how it would be legislated. "the battle over compulsion would end up being constantly batted back and forth because the government could not use the Parliament Act to override the Lords opposition because it is to be done by secondary legislation. "
I hope that this may see off the element of legal compulsion, but we're not there yet.
Guardian Unlimited Politics | Special Reports | Labour steps back in push for ID cards: [:ID cards:]
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
No comments:
Post a Comment