13 August 2005

The New Chauvinism

"As usual, we are being asked to do the job of the terrorists, by making this country ugly on their behalf."
As usual an excellent article by George Monbiot reflecting on patriotism in the wake of the London bombings. I found that this resonated well with me
"I don’t hate Britain, and I am not ashamed of my nationality, but I have no idea why I should love this country more than any other. There are some things I like about it and some things I don’t, and the same goes for everywhere else I’ve visited. To become a patriot is to lie to yourself, to tell yourself that whatever good you might perceive abroad, your own country is, on balance, better than the others."
I'll drink to that.
George Monbiot � The New Chauvinism:[:patriotism:terrorism:]

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...