This I found intriguing: "Hawkins makes many parallels between factory farms and mega churches, and between sustainable farming — which doesn’t deplete natural resources or pollute the environment — and healthy churches. I don’t want to demonize church growth and factory farms,” Hawkins said. “I want to help us be honest about the consequences of choosing those models.”"
The article doesn't really develop the metaphor/simile, so I continue to ponder what might be the correspondances to soil depletion, pesticide run-off, MRSA-style infections following over-use of antibiotics and so forth.
When I read the article it reminded me of the 'agricultural revolution' in the British Church Growth movement a short few years back. Based on the work of Christian Schwarz (I think) in Natural Church Development they went over to an organic metophor from the mechanistic and focused on church health rather than numerical growth ...
I wondered whether the factory farm church is based on the burocratic metaphors of the old church growth movement.
Any ideas?
Science & Theology News:
Nous like scouse or French -oui? We wee whee all the way ... to mind us a bunch of thunks. Too much information? How could that be?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
A review of Common Threads
Most of my Christian life, I've been what is usually labelled "an inclusivist". Lately I've been re-examining what that ...
-
Interesting insight into the Muslim world: my favourite progresive muslim site has been hacked and attacked by islamists accusing those who ...
-
This is the normal package I've noticed being advertised: "It is expected that for a House-for-Duty appointment the priest will car...
-
This book is one that I now seriously consider recommending to the student Christian groups I'm in touch with whose basis is Evangelic...
No comments:
Post a Comment