22 August 2005

Reaping what we sow

Here's the testiimony of someone who identies themself as a pagan who has Christian background. "I could feel the subtle energies that flow through all things. When I was still very young I called it a manifestation of Jesus, but the church would have nothing of that. I didn't know what I did wrong but I was considered crazy. My parents thought it was 'just a phase' and 'it would pass.'"
Isn't that frustrating? I suspect that it is not an isolated kind of incident either. Would we really want to write off that kind of spiritual sensibility as wrong? I know that my theology has room for that child's perspective...
Oh and here's the sharp aftertaste,
"One of the nicest things I found in Paganism (and couldn't find in Christianity) is acceptance. Amongst Pagans I am not crazy or mad, nor blasphemous for thinking an ordinary mortal could wield the same powers as God's only son (which I never claimed...oh well…)."
I'm also vexed about what the church has done to the spiritual search of this lad who has now embraced a magickal path. and says; "certain aspects of Christianity just weren’t making sense to me, so I thought it was just me. I thought I wasn’t doing the right thing or that I was just a horrible person. Over the next year I realized that this doubt in “God” wasn’t my fault and that it was an instinctive call sounding off inside my inner being. A call for nothing more than the truth. The Bible left me with more questions than answers so it was up to me to try and find out the truth for myself. I could not conceive the concept of “blind faith” anymore than one can conceive the idea of “almost pregnant.” It made no sense to me. I felt so lost." He is -if the writing is anything to go by- quite an insightful and spiritually sensitive guy. My question is how to church in a way that connects with these people?
Witchvox Article:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...