07 September 2005

I have not yet done that for which I was made

"O Lord my God

teach my heart

where and how to seek you,

where and how to find you.

O Lord you are my God

and you are my Lord

and I have never seen you.

You have made me and remade me,

and you have bestowed on me all the good things I possess

and still I do not know you.

I have not yet done that for which I was made.

Teach me to seek you

for I cannot seek you unless you teach me

or find you unless you show yourself to me.

Let me seek you in my desire,

let me desire you in my seeking.

Let me find you by loving you,

let me love you when I find you."

-St Anselm



What resonated for me was the 'you have bestowed ... and still I do not know you. I have not done that for which I was made.' I do know God and yet I do not know God as well as my opportunities would tell I should and I am conscious that there are huge gaps between what I sense God has given me potential to be an to do and what I have been and done thus far. I am taken back to the sense that I need to think now what kind of old person I would like to be and begin living accordingly. I want to be old with God's wisdom and an irrepressable joy that is born of compassion ...

maggi dawn: I have not yet done that for which I was made:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...