18 September 2005

Praying the pattern review

I'm delighted to report that I have found the first review of Praying the Pattern. And that, on the whole it was very positive: "This book has impacted me like no other book on prayer has. It has made me look deeper into the way I pray and the way I live in a way which is helpful to me. It emphasises different ways of praying because everybody is unique. That is what makes this book so powerful; there will be something in there for you to. I recommend this book with an urgency."
There is some more negative comment and in the interests of fairness I quote that also; "Andii offers some explanations, reflections and points of teaching on each [individual clauses, for example, ‘Give us today our daily bread’]. These are very helpful and insightful notes, but I found that the slightly messy and confusing structure made it sometimes difficult to follow. I couldn’t help but get frustrated to see so many original and inspirational thoughts on the Lord’s Prayer muddled into the historic and theological backgrounds I was promised wouldn’t be the focus. I wanted more of the ‘good stuff’!"
Probably true though in defence, I know that some of my likely readers get twitchy if there isn't reference to the theoligical and historical stuff and in a number of cases the insights have grown out of or in dialogue with that stuff. So it may be that some readers won't find it confusing but perhaps want more of it.

In fact Simone, the reviewer, doesn't include an interesting comment in the review which she made to me in a personal email: "it seemed a bit rushed and crushed in places. As if you were able to expland and say so much more but didn't have the time? That almost feels like a shame because the material is so good and so fresh."
Which was probably true in some sections but also a factor was that I wanted to leave it incomplete in some ways so as to encourage readers to think that it really is a work in progress that can include them via the website. So some things are in there in a deliberately sketchy form to provoke further thought and interaction.

Still if there is ever a second edition, these are things that will be addressed.
Praying the pattern:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...