15 September 2005

Season of Creation |

"For four Sundays in September we celebrate A Season of Creation with Christ."
I very much support this, I have vague recollections of blogging about it before. When I was running a university chaplaincy, I informally calendared in what I had in my head as a creation season in the early Autumn when we would deal with issues of creation care and planetary stewardship. I would like to push them further and think about having the Creation Season last to the end of October - wherupon Kingdomtide begins; I think I would want to explore this a bit more as an option given that Harvest festivals in the UK tend to be around the start of October or at least the end of September and that would be a good starting point for a Creation season here. I note that the origination for this proposal is in Australia, where it would be a Spring-time festival and coinciding with Harvest festivals not an issue. However the ECEN have endorsed the framework and so I thirk we are looking at a done deal. The aim of this calendar reform is to lead up to St Francis of Assisi Day. At Bradford University, I tended to start the season in early October, having used the last few weeks of September on 'welcome' themes.
The site gives a helpfully brief outline of a theology for the season and one bit summed up where I am up to with it:
"We recognise a deep incarnation, God becoming flesh and in so doing joining the biological web of life. Jesus Christ, this God incarnate, not only suffers with creation but also rises as the cosmic Christ to reconcile, renew and fill all things in creation."
Season of Creation |:

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...