11 October 2005

Oiconomics

I'm starting to get into this neologism thing. Today's word is oiconomics. I thought I had coined this but discover that it's not so. or at least that I am not original in doing so. I am writing something at the moment under the working title of "Culture Jamming Liturgy" [I think I've mentioned it before]. I want to examine the place of advertising in God's purposes and so the word oiconomy came along as a shorthand for ... well all this stuff....
I'm taking this little-used word to mean the way that we manage the economic, political and social systems of the world in relation to God's purposes. (I have found the word being used before in the sense of commenting on the etymology of 'economics' in relation to biblical teaching, here for example). We might think of it as God's economy where 'economy' is wider than a monetary idea but includes the way that supply, demand, provision, welfare services, community and so forth all interact in God's provision and human cooperation or subversion. It might be helpful to think of oiconomics as the study of God's provision in relation to human systems.
Oikos is the old Greek word for a house or household. And oikonomos would be the way that a household is governed, managed or stewarded. In this case the household is extended greatly to includes the whole world. A related word, etymologically, is 'ecology' or 'oicology' with its sense of things working together in a system. It would be good to capture also that sense of system and working together in 'oiconomics'.
Sermons from Seattle - Sermons - Stewardship
On Del.icio.us: , , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...