25 October 2005

The onslaught: oiconomy and adverts

I'm doing some writing and thinking about 'culture jamming worship' and so advertising is on my mind a lot lately. Here's an interesting article which helps to think about the ethics of advertising. You see, I think that there is a legitimate role for advertising as part of social communication and providence [to introduce a theological frame] or oiconomy. The key issue, it seems to me, in a Christian response to advertising and consumerism is identifying when it becomes dysfunctional or 'cancerous' and perverts, subverts or overweaningly exploits our mental commons . This article helps.
"they are relentlessly targeted by companies and advertisers, operating on occasion with the ethics of the playground bully. Their vulnerabilities are sold back to them through magazines and marketing."
MediaGuardian.co.uk | Media | The onslaught: On Del.icio.us: , , , , , , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...