17 October 2005

Paternoster rosary 1.3. 1 John 3:1a

See what love the Father has given us, that we should be called children of God; and that is what we are.
When I reflect on this as part of the Hallowing part of the cycle, I have at the back of my mind also the NIV's "See what love the Father has lavished on us..." reminding us of the gracious, free, exhuberance of the love of God. So sometimes , I'm praying 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name" with a rejoicing in my heart because I'm delighted that God loves freely and without stint and not because I deserve it but because that's what love and God are like. Sometimes I even substitute other phrases for 'Our Father in heaven'; 'loving God' or 'gracious, giving Father' or 'Lover of my soul' etc.

Sometimes I'm praying the words 'Our Father in heaven hallowed be your name' feeling awed and grateful that God really has become by God's own design and action in Christ, my/our Father. This is not merely a pious fiction but somehow, in the deep structure of the way things are, a change has taken place in the way that we are related to the heart of all things, so that we are not peripheral flotsam on the western edge of a not-particularly noticible galaxy in an expanding universe, rather the Force that brought it all into being and maintains it in exstence [as it would seem to us, spacetime-bound as we are] notices us and claims us in love.
Hallowed be God's name, indeed.
Next bit....
prev bit...
Crosswalk.com - 1 John 3:1

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'a change has taken place' - yes! I've found this using the 'Pearls of Life' - Martin Lonnebo has written of a link between them and the Lord's Prayer (and of course Paternoster Beads) See www.anamchara.org.uk

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that link; it looks fascinating and got me thinking...

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...