14 October 2005

Ubuntu 5.10 Released

The next update of the OS is now released. I hope to update in the next week or so. Unlike M$ Windoze, I can update free, no cost except my time. It might be a good time to think about migrating; there are free evaluation and installation disks you can order. It is possible to make your machine dual boot so that you don't get rid of windows [unless and until you're ready] but you can start doing stuff with Ubuntu while you learn about the system.
Never pay for an upgrade in software OS again.
Note also that there is an educational version of this version of Linux.
Ubuntu - Ubuntu 5.10 Released
Ubuntu, release, linux, Gnome, OS, Breezy_Badger, FLOSS,

2 comments:

Dr Moose said...

Mmm. I'm still thinking of trying to use Linux more and even migrating. The problem is that I don't have the time to do it. I already have a dual boot machine to experiment with (Mandrake 9) and can't get the (generic 14" LCD) display working properly (convinced it's to do with refresh rates). I tried to install to my (four year old) laptop, but it doesn't like/recognise the PCMCIA architecture. The disk partitioner won't even work with my primary "play" machine (which might have something to do with it being ME upgraded to XP) and this machine is definitely for work and not up for amendment yet.

That doesn't even mention the joys of wireless networking...

Sad pseudo-geek? Me? Never! Yes that was four computers, and, yes, there are more...

Nothing a bit of time, logic and brainpower won't solve. So no luck there then, despite the fact that I did once hold down a job in computer support...

To work. To work.

Andii said...

I'm no expert at such things, you appear to be techier than me. The thinp about Ubuntu that I liked was that it seemed to work 'out of the box' better and I even have it on a laptop working fine with PCMCIA without we having to tweak anything. I admit that you have to be careful what adapters you try to use in wireless networking but I found that my older netgear pcmcia card was recognised and used from and for install. I have a spare set of eval/itstall disks from the previous upgrade if you want [applies to any reader within reasonable posting distance].

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...