19 November 2005

Rookie police officer shot dead by robbers

This is more than a little sobering. Up until 18 months ago we lived just round the corner from where this happened, I used to have my hair cut just a hundred yards away and we would have had to walk around the police cordons in order to go about our normal business.

There have been some calls to routinely arm our police in the wake of this. I don't see it would help. Not sure if this officer would have been armed anyway and certainly the wardens who were supposed to be on the other entrance wouldn't have been. But once you arm the police you really enter into an arms race with criminals and that statistically must mean more shooting and more injuries and fatalities. I'm happy that senior police have been knocking the suggestion on the head.
Guardian Unlimited | Special reports | Rookie police officer shot dead by robbers

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...