31 January 2006

Roadkill recipe book

I'm vegetarian so this is water off a duck's back to me. However, if you like free range meat with organic possibilities ...
"It's good meat for free and I know nobody has been messing with it and feeding it with hormones. By writing a book I hope to show people it's perfectly normal and healthy to eat ... If the animal has been dead a while and has gone green the taste is a bit bland, but if you cook them thoroughly, you can still eat it. I've been doing it all my life and never been ill once."

Think of it as an exercise in observing in yourself the interaction between culture and taboo. I was once chastised by an eminent theologian when I had said that I wasn't sure that I could face the thought of eating meat after several years not doing so (interestingly enough, this is no longer an issue). He said that perhaps I had allowed something a hold over me that only Christ should have. In retrespect (is it not ever thus?) I thought that he might have had pause for thought if I'd asked his attitude to, well, eating roadkill labrador. I also think he may have spoken out of a feeling that being vege wasn't quite 'kosher' for Christians...
Guardian Unlimited | Special reports | Bat or badger? It's the roadkill recipe book
Filed in: , ,

No comments:

A review: One With The Father

I'm a bit of a fan of medieval mysteries especially where there are monastic and religious dimensions to them. That's what drew me t...