16 February 2006

Liberty and authoritarianism

Chris Huhne just got my respect and attention by putting into words something I have have begun to feel about the state of British politics at the moment given what appears to me to be the illiberal turn of the Labour party.
"One of the crucial divisions of opinion in Britain in the future will be between the party of civil liberties and the party of authoritarianism. The Prime Minister tells us that we must lay down our freedoms for our lives, but perhaps he should remember all those people in past generations who laid down their lives for our freedoms."

See also letters to the Indy which put why I think that.
Independent Online Edition > UK Politics:
Filed in: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...