23 February 2006

Why I don't trust Cameron's left shift

David Cameron keeps saying things that I like the sound of. On environment and social justice, he keeps making the right noises and I compare the current Labour regime and think; "Hmmm, are they switching politics?" But I can't quite get a sense of how the Rt Hon Mr Cameron actually means to achieve his stated aims or, more importantly, how he thinks he can carry the Tories in the field with him. I know a few Conservative voters and I can't see them adopting Cameron's cuddly version without a lot of persuasion. So it was interesting to read this and have my suspicions somewhat confirmed.
Robin Harris, a former speechwriter to Mrs Thatcher ... argues that alienating the party's electoral base is potentially disastrous, adding: "There are good reasons why every Tory leader since Margaret Thatcher has started by proclaiming the party's transformation into something kinder, gentler and more leftwing - and then conducted a sharp rightward turn."

Yep; the membership consists of a lot of 'flog 'em and hang 'em' types who think dealing with causes of crime is pandering to social evils and that the less fortunate are actually the less competant and deserve their lack of opportunity. They also believe that a rising tide lifts all boats. Of course we now know that a rising tide only lifts the boats that have already had money spent on them and that haven't been filled with boulders and concrete ... .
Guardian Unlimited Politics | Special Reports | Senior Tories voice fears at shift to left
You might want to look also at this.

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...