21 March 2006

Fair Trade in brains? HE and development

Informally, I had been somewhat interested to note the amount of professional graduate and postgraduates that seem to be from Anglophone Africa and working or trying to work in the UK. I have no problem with that in principle, seems fair in a globalised world. My concern is with the implications for development. And it turns out I'm not the only one to ask myself about those implications.
About 30% of Africa's university-trained professionals and up to 50,000 Africans with PhDs now live and work outside the continent. The problem is particularly acute in sub-Saharan Africa.
The Association of University Teachers(AUT) and the lecturers' union Natfhe are now looking at how developing countries can be better compensated for their loss. Ideas include reciprocal migration, better links between universities in industrialised countries and those in developing nations and improving the infrastructure in the countries faced with losing its workers.

Still suffering from the after effects of colonialism? I'm not sure. It is good, though, to see solutions being thought about. I wonder if there is a role and place for partnership with devolpment agencies?
EducationGuardian.co.uk | higher news | Brain drain 'damaging' African HE:
Filed in: , , ,

No comments:

Christian England? Maybe not...

I've just read an interesting blog article from Paul Kingsnorth . I've responded to it elsewhere with regard to its consideration of...